Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 10:14:17 -0700
questions:

Is there a definite verdict on whether Niagara is eligible for the
tournament or not? I didn't think they would be, but they keep getting
counted in the PWR on USCHO (I thought the PWR was only used for
tournament-eligible teams?). Or is this a decision that the committee will
make on a whim?

Blaise MacDonald is taking the attitude that they'll be given an at-large
bid; would the committee really deny the team with the 8th-best PWR in the
country?

If they are allowed in, it could mean that Michigan State, #12 PWR and
24-10-4 record, is "bubbled out" of the tournament. Follow me here:

Given that 9 spots are wrapped up:

Wisconsin (autobid)
Boston U (autobid)
Michigan (autobid)
St Lawrence (autobid)
Maine (autobid or at-large, #2 PWR)
North Dakota (autobid or at-large, #3 PWR)
New Hampshire (at-large, #4 PWR)
Colgate (at-large, #7 PWR)
Boston Coll (autobid or at-large, #9 PWR)

If we add in Niagara with an at-large bid, that makes 10.

Then say that RPI wins the ECAC and UNO continues to play Cinderella and
wins the CCHA, we've got 12 teams. (okay, that's a big combination of "ifs")

So... what is the likelihood of the Competition Committee awarding an
at-large bid to Niagara if it comes at the expense of a team like Michigan
State? Would having the West Regionals in Minneapolis make the decision any
easier (as compared to having them in say, Detroit or Ann Arbor)?

I do love March.

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)