From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne T. Smith
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:23:00 -0500
One thing I haven't noticed in reports from John Whelan's excellent
tool ...

The NCAA Selection Committee has, if I recall it correctly, said they
may look at the strength of conferences when making their
considerations.  So if either Quinnipiac *or* Niagara get bumped, then
how can they select the other?

In my trials so far, the effects of this decision is much less important
on the eastern teams than on the western (bubble) teams as far as
selection goes.  With Q & N in, I see 7 or 8 eastern teams, but with
them both out,  6 eastern (and 6 western).  The latter would make for
elegant brackets, in many probable scenarios.  The former would
cause match-up problems or sending out west of some "better" teams.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out!

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                             mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group - UNET                 University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey mailing lists