From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:59:07 +0800
Wayne Smith writes:

>Larry W wrote, in part..
>> It is the attitude that it does not matter where they come from ....(or what
>> their grades are or what their character is) that is symbolic of the
>> hypocrisy of amateur college athletics...
>
>Bull.  That's not what the previous poster wrote (except that it doesn't
>matter where they are from).   Where's the hypocrisy?
>
>At the school, for which neither the previous poster nor I officially
>speak, athletes have (1) on average as good or better grades as the
>general student population, (2) facilities and people to help their
>studies not available to other students, and (3) coaches that require
>reasonable off-ice choices, grades and class attendance. They get a
>good education on and off the ice ... and a great one if they are so
>inclined.
>
>Was the experience of your children different?  From what do you
>speak, Larry?
>
>All else equal, would you hire a former college hockey player or
>someone else?
>
>cheers, wayne

I agree with Wayne, I do not understand why this is hypocrisy   Perhaps
Larry can define the word for us in the context in which he used it.  Larry
is on the same kick as he was last year and the year before.  He is an
American firster. No foriegn scholarships of any type, athletic or
academic, to those who wish to matriculate at a state school.  In fact,
correct me if I'm wrong Larry, that you extend this logic to all
institutions of higher learning that receive public money of any kind.
True?

Now it seems that he has no interest in having out-of-state students
receive aid of any type as well.  What a wonderful concept.

Cheers as well,

Greg Ambrose