From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne T. Smith
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:32:56 -0500
greenie wrote, in part..
> Nobody on this list will ever get a virus sent out by Hockey-L, as the list
> doesn't accept attachments (or just throws them out).

Not true.  The College Hockey lists do not now have the capability of
discarding attachments.  LISTSERV will have some such facility in the
next release, according to the vendor.  The only filtering done by
LISTSERV now is to MIME messages where plain text and HTML are
present: the HTML portion is filtered.

So the message remains: don't open attachments from anyone.  With
increased capability of mail programs, we're seeing more attacks
where a hacker's program uses your friend's mail program to send
you a virus or worm or whatever.  Also, don't expect your (even up-to-
date) virus detection program to keep your system clean if you open
attachments.  Why do you think their engines and detection files are
enhanced each month?  The sad truth is that even word processor
attachments can contain hacker code.

Back to your regularly scheduled college hockey discussion ...

Wayne T. Smith                             mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group - UNET                 University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey mailing lists