Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 14:45:32 -0700
Sorry for the non-hockey content, but since people always need the education...

At 12:23 PM 2/27/00 -0600, Troy D. Mills wrote:
>Here is what happened to me.  I received the Cool Prog/Pretty Park from a
>friend.  When I opened his message (not the program) to me, the virus
>attached itself to my addresses and sent itself out.  I then got a warning
>message from my friend that told me this is what it would do and I should
>let everyone in my address book know.  I sent out the warning, and while
>that was sending, I received a message from Hockey-L and Hockey3 that the
>virus was undeliverable because of size.

Nobody on this list will ever get a virus sent out by Hockey-L, as the list
doesn't accept attachments (or just throws them out). Simply put, email
messages themselves cannot contain viruses; only attachments can carry a
virus. Even then, you will only be affected if the attachment itself is
opened or otherwise executed.

That said, you either:
(a) executed the program without knowing it
(b) allow your email client to automatically open/execute attachments
(c) use Outlook and have macros enabled

If you never open attachments, you will never get a virus via email. Period.

However, as most of us need to open attachments on a regular basis, the
basic guideline is to not open attachments unless you are absolutely sure
of the source. Ignore all those "this is funny!" or "check this out!"
messages from friends that come in the form of executable (program) files,
at least for a couple of days. If the thing is indeed a virus, better to
let your friends get affected first. :-)

for those that can't get enough of all those executables floating around
the web, invest in a GOOD virus program, and use it -- manually --
immediately after goofing with executables.

greenie