From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara M. Fagan
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 19:02:51 -0500
Mark Lewin wrote:
 At 19:45, Noeth
called Carsom Butterwick with a hitting from behind major putting RPI
down for another 5
minutes. I don't deny my bias toward RPI but I do consider myself a
knowledgeable hockey viewer
and I do call them as I see them (whether for or against the Engineers).
I doubt that this should
have even been called as a minor penalty when compared to other hits in
the game. There was no
way this should have been a major penalty.

I love Mark's game reviews and I hesitate to comment.  I did not
personally clearly see the hit on Ray DiLauro by Carsom Butterwick but
several people directly around me did.  We were sitting in the "end
zone" as I call it.  The seats are behind the net.  We were in the 5 or
so row to the left of the net so the hit was almost directly in front of
us.  My sister was horrified by the hit and said that she saw a look of
shock on DiLauro's face as he hit the glass.  The gentleman behind me
said that DiLauro was very close to the boards and had no idea that the
hit was coming from behind.  Hits in the area are considered very
dangerous because the player can't protect himself going into the
boards.  The comment was made that it was a good thing that his head
wasn't down or it would have been disastrous.

I know that Noeth didn't make some calls that should have been made, on
both teams, but I think that this call was a good one.  At least those
around me did and I don't think it was just their SLU bias talking.

Sara
SLU '77
Let's go SAINTS!!!!