Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:18:23 -0700
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, greenie wrote:

> As for missing classes... quite a few players wind up missing Friday
> classes when there's a Friday night game at home. They can make up the
> work. Or, the teams schedule fewer games so the student-athletes don't miss
> as many classes.

Chiming in here for missing classes in relation to CC... I don't know how
many people are aware of how their system works, but CC is on what's
called the Block Plan, where you take one class at a time for 3 1/2 weeks,
and then you get Wed afternoon-Sun off on that half week before the next
class begins as block break. There are 4 blocks a semester, 8 blocks a
year, and in each block a semester's worth of work is crammed in (I've
heard some people compare the pace to summer school at other schools). So
missing even a few days of class can be hard for CC student athletes, as
that can be equivalent to a couple of weeks' worth of work. The nice thing
about this schedule is that if it works out that away games are during
block break, players don't miss any classes for the trip, but that doesn't
always work out in the scheduling.

I remember in 1996 when CC went to the Frozen Four in Cincinnati, a new
block was starting the Monday after Regionals in East Lansing, and the
team was unable to get a flight back to Colorado Springs before heading
back out to Cincinnati due to weather conditions, so they ended up just
taking a bus to Ohio and missed the first whole week of class. I know some
of the professors had fits that they weren't able to come back even for
one day of class to get work to take with them, and that they missed that
many days.

So more travel time in a schedule would make it harder on CC's players
academically, missing that much class. I know even just as a student
there, I only ever missed class a few times when I was really sick,
because I hated getting that far behind even for one day.

Karen Heasley
Colorado College '95

CC Tiger Hockey Homepage: http://www.ColoradoCollege.edu/Athletics/Hockey/