From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara M. Fagan
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:49:15 -0500
Since someone asked, I thought I would tell my Lake Placid story....I will
think of some obligatory college hockey before I send this.

I spent the day at Lake Placid.  I was lucky enough to get tickets to a hockey
game for Feb. 22 and my mother and I took a train from Utica, NY to Lake
Placid.  We left Utica around midnight and got there around 6 AM.  We spent the
day walking around visiting the sights.  It was a wonderful day for me.  I have
always been a huge fan of the Olympics and just walking the streets with those
athletes was a treat.  We saw skaters practicing on the speed track (outdoor)
and watched ski jumping.  They didn't require tickets to get into the ski
jumping venue during practice and it was wonderful.  The hockey game was the
afternoon game - Canada and ...(I think Czechoslovakia but I would have to look
that one up).  There were figure skaters practicing on the practice rink and I
watched them in between the periods.  When we left the arena the crowd was
growing and the chanting "USA, USA" was already starting.  Tickets were way out
of sight, pricewise and the excitment was mounting.  We left Lake Placid on the
train to return to Utica.  I had taken my younger brother's mini-transistor
radio so I could listen the the game on the way home.  But reception was
terrible and I couldn't really hear anything.  But just at the right time, when
all in the train car were asleep, I hear over the radio that the US had won.  I
nearly jumped out of my skin.  I was too shy to shout it from the rafters,
although  I wanted to.  A few minutes passed and people came pouring in from
other cars yelling that we had won.  It was years before I ever saw that game.
All in all, one of my best days ever.

I have been back to Lake Placid a few times since then.  One of those times was
the Frozen Four in 1988.  What a thrill it was to watch my St. Lawrence Saints
play for the national championship.  They may have fallen short in overtime but
it was a great ride.  (We still remember the net off the post and no penalty
called late in the third ...but I digress).  That weekend ranks right up there
with my Olympic experience.

Sorry for the stroll down memory lane but I enjoyed it.

Sara
SLU '&&
Let's go SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!