From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:31:58 -0500
Larry Winer wrote:

>>if someone wants to send their kid to Colgate for 30k + a year so he can
yell profanities at my kid- G-d bless em- all the profanity just reflects on
the school and the student body-<<

Andrea Catarano replied:

>>[throwing stuff at an opponent's pep band] was completely uncalled for and
tasteless, the guilty party was a distinct minority of the student body as a
whole, and therefore, i don't hold it against the entire school.<<

Fair points, both.  But it's interesting that the incident that started this
whole discussion was basically the result of BU fans complaining about other
BU fans.  So in part at least, I think that those BU fans did believe that
the vulgarity did reflect unfavorably on their school.  And in fairness, I
think it does.  I'm no so shallow, and I don't think Larry is either, to
think that EVERY Colgate student throws stuff or that EVERY BU student yells
vulgar cheers.  But I also think less of a school if a small PORTION of
their students are vulgar and throw stuff than if NO students are vulgar and
throw stuff.

And I also think more of a school that does something about it.  I think
that BU has acted responsibly, at least as a first step.  At least their
band -- which represents the school -- isn't an unwilling participant in the
vulgarity, at least for a while.

Clay