From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 23:47:30 -0500
> The first amendment reads "no law ... abridging freedom of speech".
>Funny, I didn't see a clause about "except profanity".

So you're saying if you start cussing at a private gathering, which is what
a sports event is since you need tickets, then the person hosting said
gathering cannot throw you out?

You need to read hte laws as well. The First Amendment applies only to
public gatherings, such as rallies and on the streets. If you walked into my
house and starting cussing for the hell of it I'd throw you out on the
street in a second, let's see hte first amendment back you up then.

Certainly universities have the right to do the same at sporting events that
they host. People seem to forget that the Bill of Rights does not allow
people to do whatever they wish, especially when obscenity laws and such are
brought into play. Freedom of speech also means that others have freedom
from vulger and unnecessary speech. The law was put in to let people speak
their mind about governments without fear of prison, not to let people go
around verbally assaulting others.

I can tell you right now that 1/2 of what passes the obscenity test in
Boston and New York City probably wouldn't even come close to passing the
obscenity test here in the Midwest. Hell I remember a story a couple years
ago about a man being arrested under an old public obscenity law (I believe
the specifics was cursing in front of women and children) while canoeing
thru a small rural Nebraska town. I think he had to pay a $50 fine or so and
the law is still in effect.
      Ben Flickinger
E-Mail:    [log in to unmask]
To all the CCHA teams, UNO welcomes you to the Bullpen. Now get ready to lose.
Everyone can have a bad century or two. Cubbies are gonna rule the 21st Century.
QOTW: "See that ship over there? It's re-broadcasting Major League Baseball
games with implied oral consent, not expressed written consent." (Homer Simpson)