From:
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:21:41 -0500
    I would not reply to this "on list" except for the fact that a couple of
people have already chimed in in support of what, when I was at BU, would
have been called the Fascist position.
    I don't give a @#% what a bunch of old Supremes rule, and frankly I
don't think that Sam Adams and the boys would have either (oh, by the way
there was a Sam Adams that the beer is named for. Read about him; it might
change your whole view of the ongoing American Revolution.)
    The first amendment reads "no law ... abridging freedom of speech".
Funny, I didn't see a clause about "except profanity".
    Sorry Robb, but your "cure" is FAR worse than the disease.  I don't
worry about a few jerks yelling four-letter words.  I do worry about
governmental and other authorities hustling people out of public assemblies
because they don't approve of what they said whatever that may be.
    Can we end this little sideshow and return to discussion of college
hockey?
    Dave Carroll BU '73
    "Oui, je suis un Marxist...d'un type Groucho."  Danny the Red, Paris
1968