From:
Robb Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 07:48:02 -0500
Seems to me that the BU administration is missing the point.  Solve the real
problem - get the students to stop doing the cheer.  There is nothing
inherently wrong with the song.

Cornell has some standard musical pieces that had drifted towards off-color
words over the years.  The administration (at least fronted by Coach
Schafer, if not motivated by him) asked the students to stop, and they
continue to go at the source of the problem by removing profane students
from the rink.  Those who cheer appropriately can continue to enjoy the
traditional pieces, and those few who cheer inappropriately don't "muck"
things up for everyone else.

The standard counter argument to this tactic is, "But everyone is doing it,
and they can't kick out everyone."  Well, first of all, they could, and
second of all, they don't have to - kick a couple of students out each time,
and you'd be amazed how many "Rah Rah Rah's" you'd hear by the end of the
game.  I don't get to many Cornell home games so I can't say for sure how it
is working there, but on the road, I hear almost exclusively "Rough 'em up,"
instead of the alternative.

While we're on the topic of cheering against non-opponents, Cornell fans
always say "Screw BU, so-and-so too," just for the tradition of it, but only
once or twice a game when the band plays the appropriate tune.  Do any BU
fans remember (or care) what a great rivalry that was, or has this become a
one-sided rivalry?

Robb