Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:35:18 -0700
At 10:59 AM 2/14/00 -0600, Marty Kline wrote:
>The problem with the split weekend series concept is the trip to
>Anchorage.  It
>is not reasonable to expect a team to play in, for example, North Dakota on
>Friday, then fly to Anchorage for a Sunday game, then fly back home for Monday
>classes.  If memory serves me correctly, most schools can't (don't?) even fly
>directly to Anchorage, but typically have a stopover in Seattle.

...but it's entirely feasible to play the Sioux on Thursday.

Not to mention, there's nothing wrong with weekends where you play only one
game -- Hockey East teams do it all the time.

Furthermore, flights to Anchorage are not the pain they seem to be, even
out of Fargo. I've flown into Anchorage a number of times from different
cities in the country and never had more than a 2 hour layover in Seattle,
Salt Lake or Minneapolis.

Of course, this argument would be made much easier if the two Alaska teams
were in the same conference. Talk about stupidity.

As for missing classes... quite a few players wind up missing Friday
classes when there's a Friday night game at home. They can make up the
work. Or, the teams schedule fewer games so the student-athletes don't miss
as many classes.

greenie