From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:52:37 -0500
On 10 Feb 00, at 20:40, Brian Morris wrote:

> What?  Albany has probably been the best venue attendwise for the
> Regionals of any site.  RPI hasn't been to a Knick/Pepsi Regionals
> since 1994.  Union never will (flame on, just a joke).  The two teams
> that probably brought in the most fans were Clarkson and UVM.  UNH
> brought in a pretty good contingent, BU so so, BC very few.  Albany
> gets a lot of genuine college hockey fans from the Capital District
> and New England, as well as Maryland (right Jim) and even Florida.

I do not believe this statement to be true.  At best, Albany is is
equal to Worcester for regional attendance.  According to the 1999
NCAA Frozen Four Record Book and the boxscores for last years
two days at Worcester, the top six regional sessions in attendance
are:

12,517, Worcester, March 27, 1999, Maine vs Clarkson and New
Hampshire vs Michigan (2nd day)

12,407, Albany, March 23, 1996, Vermont vs Lake Superior and
Boston University vs Clarkson (2nd day)

12,045, Worcester, March 27, 1993, Boston University vs Northern
Michigan and Maine vs Minnesota (2nd day)

9,788, Albany, March 25, 1994, Wisconsin vs Western Michigan
and New Hampshire vs Rensselaer (1st day)

9,784, Worcester, March 25, 1995, Maine vs Denver and Boston
University vs Lake Superior (2nd day)

9,683, Worcester, March 26, 1993, Northern Michigan vs Harvard
and Minnesota vs Clarkson (1st day)

The top western regional session in attendance was 8,642 at
VanAndel Arena in Grand Rapids on March 23, 1997.

Without doing additional research it appears to me that Worcester
is the best regional site attendance-wise, with Albany second.
Worcester has hosted the regionals 4 times, Albany 3, and
Providence 1 (the first east Regional).

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers             1999 Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html