From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:29:25 -0500
Jeff Kennedy wrote:

[. . . ]

>>The best thought I heard was a two day event in the east & west with
winners heading to the final four.  Four games on day one and 2 on day two.
A lot of hockey but that seems best to me.  You could sell tickets 2 sets on
day one and one on the final day.<<

I think your concerns are right on, but I don't think four games in one day
is doable, unless you do it at two rinks.  Suppose you schedule the games at
11:00, 2:00, 5:00 and 8:00; that would get the last game over at 11:00 pm.
All you need is a game or two to have an altercation or go into overtime,
and that 11:00 pm can become much later.  The chance of that happening in
one game out of four is pretty high, and the chance of that happening in
more than one isn't far fetched.  For example, Beanpot games are scheduled
for 5:00 and 8:00.  In 1999, because of overtimes, the second game of the
first round didn't end till around 1:00 am, and that's with only two games.
Would it be fair or reasonable to expect a team whose game ends at 1:00 and
gets to bed at, say 3:00 an to play the next day, even if the game is in the
evening?  I don't think so.  Of course you could start earlier, but who
wants to start a game at 9:00 in the morning?

If you combine regions, I think you need to go to three days.  I suggested
that earlier, and some legit objections were raised, but I don't see a
better way.

Be interesting to see what the NCAA does with this one.

Clay