From:
Jeff Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:36:52 -0500
As once was said "be careful what you ask for you just might get it".

First, this is a good problem to have.

Second, 4 regional sites I think would be a debacle if held in the large
arenas.  The reason the east has been successful is that it is the only game
in town.  It can draw on fans from the 3 local conferences and the traveling
fans of western teams.  A pretty fair comparison would be league title games
the week before.  Last year was great year for attendance in both HE and
ECAC.  Both were close to capacity if not full.  ECAC had Clarkson/SLU that
is the main reason.  HE has BC/UNH with close proximity.  Under normal
conditions, the ECAC maybe has the building 3/4 full at best.  HE has done
very well but has the Fleet about 3/4 full as well.  I think the
"non-aligned" crowd at most of those games are huge, maybe 1/3 to 1/2.
Especially in the ECAC.

The Boston/Worcester/Providence site would probably do an ok crowd.  That is
if they are not in competition with each other and not more than 1 of the
big draw teams is sent out west or to another eastern site.
Albany/Buffalo/Syracuse/New York(?) competing with B/W/P would be a joke.
Those buildings would be empty without the local team for the last day.

Let's also not forget that TV coverage might be affected.  Maybe the Boston
market will not get the games because of the local event.  Or the games at
the other eastern venue blackout to entice travel.

I know the campus rounds were changed in the early 90's for travel and
fairness but that is part of the game.  If you don't want to travel, can't
win on the road just win more games in the regular season.  I know that the
9-12 teams will have a case that they should be at home but everyone else
will just have to deal with their fate.

The best thought I heard was a two day event in the east & west with winners
heading to the final four.  Four games on day one and 2 on day two.  A lot
of hockey but that seems best to me.  You could sell tickets 2 sets on day
one and one on the final day.