From:
Kirk Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kirk Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 15:19:46 -0600
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Satow, Clay wrote:

> Erik, and Charlie, those are interesting figures, but there's got to be more
> to it than that.  For example, there were no Boston teams in the Eastern
> Regionals last year, so the Boston to Worcester number wasn't relevant last
> year.

Some have touched on the fact that there are more hockey fans in the
Northeast (threeish conferences in a concentrated area).  The population
base could be the root cause for that.  I don't want to take the time to
figure out the population of the northeastern hockey belt, but as long as
we're on the subject of Worcester vs. Madison, Massachusetts alone has a
population 20% more than the state of Wisconsin.  You thought the
distance-charts looked lopsided?  The population of a 3-hour radius around
Worchester should dwarf the 3-hour radius of Madison.

As far as the Joe having small local attendance...  I'm a Major League
Baseball fan, but I would have very little interest in going out of my way
to see the NCAA World Series.  If he doesn't already follow it, NCAA
hockey probably won't entice John Q. Public.

(at least until he shows up :)