From:
mike patten <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
mike patten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:55:26 -0500
no round 2 is 4 games over two days using 8 teams.  If 2/3 is so bad why do
most all leagues use it to decide the early rounds? What does classes have
to do with it?  The NCAA b-ball requires much more travel for many more
teams over more days. They also travel more often in season without
problems. Its only two days for round 1 and 1 day for round 2. Most kids I
know don't have any classes on fridays anyhow.. I know I sure didnt...

>On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Mike Patten wrote:
>
> > How about getting rid of the regionals altogether.
> > Lets go round 1 -  8 on campus best 2 of 3 .
> > round 2 - super regional idea.  All 8 go to one site.  2 games each day.
> > finals -  just like it is now...
>
>Best 2 of three on campus sites?  Why bother.  The home team will win
>probably 80% of the time.  That may underestimate the home advantage.
>And let's see.  Four games in four days?  Who would pay to see four
>consecutive days of hockey.  Who could attend them?  And what about that
>little thing called classes.
>

> > >Yep.  So would be OSU's palace.  There could be a rotation period
> around the
> > >West as well as the East.  I just don't like to see half empty houses for
> > >important games.  I still shudder thinking of the 1992 West Regional
> at the
> > >Joe.
>
>I have given up trying to understand the attendance problem at the West
>Regionals.  I take it on faith from the Western Hockey-L people that
>campus sites are the only thing that can work out West.
>
>But in the East, Worcester and Albany work fine for the Regionals.  It
>makes no sense to try anywhere else, with the possible exception of
>Providence.
>
>In general however I have strong doubts that four regionals sites is going
>to work out.  There still is an adequate fan base to support four regional
>sites, unless you cop out and go to campus sites.  For the ECAC campus
>sites would be a disaster--there just are many arenas large enough to host
>them.  HE would probably do OK with UMASS, UNH, BU, Providence and Lowell
>all having suitable venues.  The only other place I could think of that
>might work is Buffalo's Marine Midland, home of the 2003 Frozen Four.  But
>I think college hockey has only played one tournament in the arena, and I
>don't know the attendance.
>
>All in all, a tough proposition.
>Brian Morris                     RPI Engineers--A February to Remember?
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

Time has little to do with infinity and Jelly Doughnuts