From:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 22:50:28 -0500
Since a few of the list members have asked, here's the opinion of one
long-time season ticket holder on BU this year.

The turn-around from last year is truly remarkable. I believe that this has
mostly been a matter of the team believing in itself the way last year's
team never did. Last year, this team got itself in trouble by trying too
hard at times, which just tended to snowball. Also, last year's team was
"recovering" from a three-year period when Jay Pandolfo and Chris Drury
would score every big goal that this team needed. This year's team is
leading the league in goals without depending on one big player.

Goal: Larocque was a solid if not spectacular goalie, kind of like Martin
Brodeur in terms of constant quality. His replacement, Rick DiPietro, IS the
definition of spectacular, with an ability to handle the puck that I have
never seen in a college goalie. He inspires confidence in the guys in front
of him. Nothing against the #2, Jason Tapp, but the team's confidence level
is much higher when DiPietro is on the ice. I know Parker likes to use two
goalies, but the difference in the team's play is too much to ignore.

Defense: If you saw Aufiero and Dyment play last year, you knew they were
good, but both had major injuries. If you've followed BU hockey over time,
you know how much players improve from freshman to sophomore year. These
guys are perfect examples. Aufiero is playing with the confidence to go
anywhere on the ice that I have seen in very few college defensemen. Keith
Emery has gone from being a weakness to a solid leader for this young
blueline.

Forwards: As a group, really impressive for their defensive work. In the
past, BU has had offensive players who get lost in the defensive zone. Of
the 12 regulars, only one guy scares me at all, and that's because Brian
Collins is centering a very difficult line combination as a freshman. The
biggest surprise is the improvement in the play of Carl Corrazini, who's
somehow become much more effective in using his speed. The first two years,
he could beat anyone to the puck. Now he can beat anyone while carrying the
puck. Just ask the right defensemen from BC, Maine, and UNH who he skated by
over the month of January - or ask their goalies who had to make lots of
point-blank saves.

Bottom line: This team gives 100% like no BU team that I have ever seen. As
a fan, it's good to know that last year was the oddball year and not a new
trend.

By the way, has anyone noticed that there is a real possibility that the
1990 "Frozen Four" could be repeated in 2000. BU, Colgate, Wisconsin, and
Boston College all look like good bids to make the post-season. I would love
to see Wisconsin back at a Final Four again - unless it's at BU's expense.

Patrick Abegg