From:
"Troy D. Mills" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy D. Mills
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:51:09 -0600
Todd Finnerty wrote about Niagara:

>I would rather see them in a major conference, but a move to the MAAC may
>be a more positive step than riding a possible loser like College Hockey
>America.

As a CHA fan I take somewhat offense to that.  I do not think that the CHA
is or ever will be a loser.  Our schools already have more tradition than
the MAAC and all of the schools in the CHA are committed to making this work
(now that Army is out).  All the schools are putting the resources into
facilities, travel and full scholarship loads for their hockey programs.  If
the CHA is a loser, how come we have been able to schedule games against the
Big Four?  Sure BSU, UAH, Niagara, Wayne State, Findlay and Air Force would
love to be in established conferences, but is that possible?  Not right now.
From what I have heard, Niagara would view joining the MAAC as a step
backwards for their program since the MAAC has problems scheduling
non-conference games and the strength and traditions of the teams are not
there.  The only thing Niagara would get out of this move would be less
travel.  Personally, I feel if the MAAC gets an autobid, then the CHA should
also.

Troy D. Mills
Visit the "Beaver Pond,"  the unofficial home for Bemidji State Men's Hockey
at:
     http://customer.wcta.net/bsuhky
NAIA National Champs:  1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
NCAA D-III National Champs:  1986
NCAA D-II National Champs:  1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
NCAA D-I National Champs:  20??