From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:24:22 -0500
Based on what I see here in Massachusetts, I think that Erik's (c) is more
likely than Joe's (b).  High School hockey is healthy in that it is well
attended, popular, and competitive.  But the highest level of play is found
in the Juniors, the Prep Schools, and in a few powerhouse Parochial
programs.

Heck, if the kid is good enough, the proposals would even permit him to play
Canadian Major Junior and not lose eligibility.

There is an article at   http://www.ncaa.org/.  I agree it's sort of
ambiguous as to what it says.  One quote I found quite interesting was:
"Paul T. Dee, athletics director at the University of Miami (Florida), said
the proposals could 'change recruiting tactics in baseball from visiting
high schools to visiting minor league ballparks instead.'"  Well guess what.
Change "baseball" to "hockey" and "minor league ballparks" to "junior league
rinks" and you've got what's already happened in hockey.

Clay