From:
"Wodon, Adam" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wodon, Adam
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:54:58 -0500
> I was reading the NCAA News over at the NCAA web site.
>
> As I read the article on amateurism, the one year "grace period" was
removed
> from the proposal.  Now it appears to be for every year beyond HS you play
> an organized sport, kiss one year of NCAA eligibility goodbye.
>
> There still is some more work on the deregulation, but from a hockey
> standpoint, I think they blew it.
>
> Did I (hopefully) read this wrong?  If anyone can shed more
> light on this, I would appreciate it.

Before anyone cites any of my articles -- and please feel free to do so :-)
-- I apologize for any of my participation in the confusion.

In my original article on this topic, I stated that every year after HS
graduation would result in a one-year loss of eligibility, and discussed the
far-reaching implications to hockey.

In a follow-up article -- based on a new source of information -- I said
that, apparently, there is a one-year grace period - which seriously soothes
any concerns out there.

HOWEVER - I believe that "new" source of information may have been older
than the previous source.  My mistake.

I have called the NCAA repeatedly on this to get a clarification - but so
far, to no avail, and that's part of the problem.  But I will be addressing
it again shortly.

Thanks.

AW