From:
mike patten <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
mike patten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 13:02:09 -0500
Doesn't it seem strange the UVM would make this decision without thinking
of all the ramifications it held.  Why was it announced before consulting
the NCAA and ECAC has to how they would deal with this?  I would have
thought there were other ways of punishing the players  without effecting
the rest of the hockey world.

>[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Adam Wodon says at
>http://www.uscollegehockey.com/news/ecac/uvmcancel.html and
>http://www.uscollegehockey.com/news/2000/01/11_between.html
>
> > And remember, forfeits don't count in consideration for the NCAA
> > tournament.  Whether the games are considered forfeits or
> > cancelations, they will factor the same -- not at all. Eliminating
> > those games from consideration, especially ones already played, could
> > have interesting postseason implications.
>
>I was unaware that forfeits were left out of NCAA consideration.  Does
>this mean that Maine's forfeits in 1993-4 were also omitted?  It seems
>that if a team remained tournament-eligible despite a bunch of
>forfeits, it would make a big difference to their record whether those
>games were counted as losses or not at all.  (And yes, I know that
>retroactive forfeits only apply to games originally won or tied by the
>forfeiting team.  Games that were originally lost anyway stay in the
>book as losses.)
>
>Also, Vermont only played 17 games before abandoning this season, so
>it would seem that if their subsequent games are to be ignored by the
>NCAA in any event, then they will fall under the 20-game minimum, and
>all games against UVM will be ignored for selection purposes.
>
>                                           John Whelan, Cornell '91
>                                      http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

Time has little to do with infinity and Jelly Doughnuts