From:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 14:11:41 +0100
Adam Wodon says at
http://www.uscollegehockey.com/news/ecac/uvmcancel.html and
http://www.uscollegehockey.com/news/2000/01/11_between.html

> And remember, forfeits don't count in consideration for the NCAA
> tournament.  Whether the games are considered forfeits or
> cancelations, they will factor the same -- not at all. Eliminating
> those games from consideration, especially ones already played, could
> have interesting postseason implications.

I was unaware that forfeits were left out of NCAA consideration.  Does
this mean that Maine's forfeits in 1993-4 were also omitted?  It seems
that if a team remained tournament-eligible despite a bunch of
forfeits, it would make a big difference to their record whether those
games were counted as losses or not at all.  (And yes, I know that
retroactive forfeits only apply to games originally won or tied by the
forfeiting team.  Games that were originally lost anyway stay in the
book as losses.)

Also, Vermont only played 17 games before abandoning this season, so
it would seem that if their subsequent games are to be ignored by the
NCAA in any event, then they will fall under the 20-game minimum, and
all games against UVM will be ignored for selection purposes.

                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/