Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:54:31 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 1:57 PM
Subject: Re: The Denver Post Online - College Sports

>It might be who knows but I am so sick and tired of seeing the
>dirty hits in College hockey that I know are a direct result of the no
>fighting rule and that face mask.

How do you know this?  Do you have any evidence to back up this claim?
Dirty hits happen at all levels of hockey.  Do more of them happen with the
face shield?  How many more?  Or is this purely a subjective opinion formed
by watching hockey with a previously formed opinion on the issue?

>A much smaller player can come over to a
>bigger tougher player and hack him with his stick and he can not respond to
>this player because of fear he is going to have to sit out of a game.

In your world, what's the small player going to do if the big player hits
him with a stick?

>I just
>don't know why people are so hesitant to change the game back to the way it
>is supposed to be played. I don't see any major overhalls in the rules of
>other sports to accomidate the NCAA...

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Do you mean that the sport at all levels
is changing to accommodate the NCAA?  Hardly.  If there's a serious push to
ban fighting in the NHL or minors: a) I haven't seen it, and b) there's
probably pressure coming other places.  That, of course, and this means that
you're not looking very closely.  Look at how the NFL and NBA are trying to
tinker with their draft rules in part from pressure from the NCAA.

Or do you mean that you don't think that there are serious rules differences
between college and the pros in other sports?  Like different length
periods?  (Basketball)  Significantly different time management rules?
(Football)  Major equipment differences?  (Baseball)

Either way, I don't think that this claim holds up.

J. Michael Neal