From:
Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:02:18 -0600
    Canadian youth hockey has started a program that puts stop sign stickers
on the back of helments. To keep kids from running other kids into the
board. This was announced on HNIC. Also in the second game of the HNIC
telecast a player high sticked another player in the face area and the
announcer made the comment that the players do not respect each other. He
blamed the way kids are taught to play hockey and the full face shield.  He
went on to say that I am not advocating youth hockey players do away with
the full sheild but he did mention that he felt it contributed to them never
being hurt (meaning never have been the victim of a high stick, which would
then cause them to be more careful) because they wear the full sheild. Maybe
getting rid of them in HS and Junior and NCAA college would take care of
this to a certain degree. Anyone find it ironic that you can go without a
shield or face mask in USHL but not in NCAA. Canadian College wears a half
shield. I never understood this... I would assume that someone over 18
should be able to act like and be treated like an adult.