From:
Kirk Ahlberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 07:59:00 -0600
>On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Karen Heasley wrote:

>> This weekend was the much anticipated return of CC's former coach Don
>> Lucia, and though the Tigers were slow coming out of the gate, they came
>> to life in the last two periods to defeat the Gophers for the 10th
>> consecutive time, 3-0. According to the media guide, this is the first
>> time CC has shut out Minnesota since the '65-66 season, and Jeff Sanger's
>> first home shutout.

>So, who won the Don Lucia look-alike contest?  ;)

>-Indy Rutks ([log in to unmask])

I just returned to MN after being out in Colorado Springs for the gopher-tiger
series last weekend and the Don Lucia look-alike contest is a bit of a sore
spot for a friend of mine who now teaches at CC (though a lifetime Badger
fan).

They talked up the look-alike contest all week so my friend bought a geri-curl
looking wig and was all set to go at game time.  Apparently, however, he
missed some info somewhere because they never announced, during the game,
anything about the contest.  Before the second intermission (when the contest
was to be held) my friend went down to ice level and saw that several
contestants were already there (though no announcement was ever made).

There were 3 kids under the age of 10 who only had Don Lucia-on-a-stick masks,
one guy dressed as a Hanson Brother, and one other guy who actually took the
time to dress like Lucia.  My friend, though he was one of two who attempted
to look like Lucia, was not voted as a "finalist" and got screwed.

That's probably more than you wanted to know about the contest.  The one other
guy who had a wig and suit on won the 2 ski passes to Winter Park.

kirk out

p.s.  Are Denver and CC's new arenas identical?  I just saw a little of DU's
on tv and it looked to be the same as CC's.  Very bland, in my opinion.