From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 23:48:55 -0500
UNO's Jeff Hoggan scored a breakaway goal with 1:30 left in the third as UNO
pulls out a tie against the Tarnished Domers of Notre Shame. Both
goaltenders had outstanding games and Notre Dame had plenty of assists from
CCHA ref Rutherford, but in the end they didn't matter.

Not sure how much money the Irish payed Rutherford, but I have to say he was
worse than Cline. Cline was at least inconsistant for both teams, calling
cheap stuff on both teams and letting blatent stuff on both teams go.
Rutherford was just plain awful, and he was directly responsible for at
least one Notre Dame goal, if not both. If I remember right on one Hoggan
got hooked on a partial breakaway and Rutherford called a 10 min misconduct
on him for diving. On another our guy (Jason White I believe) got the crap
beat out of him along the boards and he called matching minors. So instead
of 2 UNO powerplays, it's even strength and Notre Shame got 2 goals.

Not to mention he swallowed his whistle in the third and OT until Notre Dame
ran over our goalie, and then called matching minors again. I'm not sure
what the final penalty numbers were, but you can take 10-14 minutes off of
UNO's total and add about 6-8 minutes on Notre Dame to get the real picture.

Still, it was a helluva game. The first period was great (minus the
reffing), and Sidoruk and Zanowski both made some incredible saves. I'd say
the save of the night goes to Zanowski, who stoned a UNO player on a 2 on 1.
Especially since it was Notre Dame, and the Civic was packed. I'd say at
least 8,000 fans in the seats tonight, and with Rush Tickets it might have
been an overflow number despite the scattered no-shows. I don't think I've
ever seen the crowd as loud as it was after Hoggan tied it up.

Same two teams tomorrow night. Hopefully the parking situation isn't as bad
as despite two weeks with nothing going on beforehand, the city decided to
schedule the "Autumn Leaf and Crafts show" in the lower levels of the Civic.
Wonder if they heard the arena crowd down there. :-)
===============================
      Ben Flickinger
-------------------------------
E-Mail:    [log in to unmask]
AOL Instant Messenger: CWSOmaha
ICQ #: 2198228
Sports Editor of the North Star - Student Paper of Omaha North High School.
To all the CCHA teams, UNO welcomes you to the Bullpen. Now get ready to lose.
Everyone can have a bad century or two. Cubbies are gonna rule the 21st Century.
QOTW: "My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an
uncle or an aunt." (1982 - Chuck Nevitt, North Carolina State basketball
player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice)