From:
William Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:01:31 -0400
By Carolyn Thornton
Sports Writer, The Providence Journal
Tuesday, September 21, 1999

Hockey coaches often say the best way to build a successful team is to
start from the goal and work your way out.  Local college teams have
pretty much got the defensive end of their games covered.   It's he
second half of the equation that they'll be looking to improve upon as
they embark on a new season in the Eastern College Athletic Conference.

The Brown men's hockey team, for example, hasn't had much of an
offensive threat since the graduation of Damian Prescott in 1998, says
third-year coach Roger Grillo, whose Bears were ranked 10th in the
Division I preseason poll announced at yesterday's ECAC media day.

"Scott Stirling is one of the better goalies in college hockey and we
have a real solid group of defensemen," he said.  "It's going to be a
matter of taking care of the other part of it.  I think we had eight or
nine one-goal losses last year, and we've kind of struggled to find
someone that can put the puck away."

"Last year was a tough, tough year," said Grillo, who lost six players
to injuries that included two broken ankles and a broken jaw.  "The guys
were really upset with the year, so they've been working hard to try and
amend that."

"Tenth place was a huge disappointment, but we did come on real strong
at the end and fought our way into the playoffs.  So we're hoping to
springboard off that finish and come out of the gate really
strong.".....

Goaltending:
Returning: (3)   Brian Eklund, Graham McNally, Scott Stirling  [1
senior; 2 sophomores]

Lost: 0

Newcomers: 0

Defense:
Returning: ( 7)   Josh Barker, Chris Dirkes, Greg Hayes, Ryan Longfield,
Brian O'Neill, Mike Pratt, Christian Warrington  [3 seniors, 2 juniors,
2 sophomores]

Lost: ( 1)   Darren McPeak

Newcomers: ( 2)   Paul Esdale, Owen Walter

Forward:
Returning: (12)   Co-Captain Michael Bent, Shawn Brackenridge, Gianni
Cantini, Jonathan Charbonneau, James Duval, Co-Captain Tyler Garrow,
Doug Janjevich, Matt Kohansky, J-F Labarre, Jeff Lawler, John Petricig,
Jon Zielinski  [4 seniors, 5 juniors, 3 sophomores]

Lost: (3)   Paul Giblin, Jade Kersey, Adrian Smith

Newcomers: (4)  Tye Korbl, Keith Kirley, Chris Legg, Jason Wilson

Bottom Line:  With the defense and goaltending remaining virtually
intact from last season, it is again a question of putting the puck in
the net if Brown is to build on last season's post-season experience and
challenge for home ice in the ECAC playoffs.

The Bears will scrimmage Yale on Thursday, October 21st and play an
exhibition game against St. Francis Xavier of Nova Scotia on Sunday,
October 24th before opening their 75th hockey season versus the Harvard
Crimson on Saturday, October 30th in the 129th renewal of college
hockey's oldest continuing rivalry.  Brown will host all three contests
at Meehan Auditorium.

Bill Corrigan

LET'S GO BRUNO!