From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:07:14 -0500
Matt wrote (quoting an article):

> A larger ice surface is not going to happen.  Funny
> that you ask that question though.  In yesterdays USA
> Today Kevin Allen asked Gary Betman the exact same
> question:
>
> "Q: Some say hockey has to move to a bigger surface to
> accommodate the speed and size of the players.
>
> A: Our game is physical. Our game is fast. Our game
> gets its excitement from sustained pressure. The
> larger ice surface cuts against those things. The
> corners are farther away from the goaltender. It's
> easier to get the puck out of the defensive zone.
> There is less physical contact."

It is true that a larger ice surface would cut down on sustained pressure in
the zone, but you could make up for that by going to the college rule of
ignoring the center line for a two line pass.  What would you rather see -
breakaways or a bunch of clogged passing lanes?  I know which I would vote
for.

And this small ice preference also explains why the US, with so much talent
available relative to smaller European countries, does so poorly in
international competition.

But you are absolutely right - don't hold your breath waiting for the NHL to
do something logical like olympic sized ice.

Tom Rowe                                          [log in to unmask]
Home of Division 3 National Champion Pointers
89, 90, 91 & 93 and National Runners Up 92 & 98