From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 08:07:14 -0400
Eric and Jennifer Burton wrote:

> >>From Clay Satow: "I think it's just a fact of life now that the Frozen
> Four will
> >>need to be in an NHL sized rink."
> >>
> >>This is really a shame.  One of the best things about college hockey is
> that
> >>Olympic sized rinks promote a more exciting, skating style of play
> versus the
> >>NHL.

First of all, if you're going to quote other notes, please have the courtesy
to get the attribution straight.  The first statement is mine, the "This is
a shame . . ." part was Marty Kline's.

When I said "NHL sized rink" I was referring to seating capacity, not the
size of the ice surface.

That having been said:

>    I guess you have not watched the NHL lately, Sakic, Forsburg, Jager,
Lindros, Bure, Federov, Satan,  Fleury, Allison, Samsonov, Madono, Anson
Carter etc can skate better than most (Proabably 95 %) college players,
also, both teams left in the playoffs both are great skating teams Buffalo
and Dallas.<

I am EXTREMELY shocked to think that someone might think that players in the
elite professional hockey league, who get millions of dollars a year because
of their hockey skills, who are part of a league that maybe 5 or 10% of all
college hockey players are good enough to make, might be better skaters than
most college players.  If anything, the NHL should be embarassed that there
are 5% of them who don't skate as well as college players.  But, hey, the
goons and fighters aren't there for their skating skills, are they?

Your list of players is also quite interesting.  The NHL is about 60%
Canadian; add the Americans to that and you've probably got 70-75% North
American.  And yet YOUR list, which presumably includes players you regard
as excellent skaters, is 50% European -- players who learned their skating
skills on the larger, Olympic sized ice surfaces.  Hmmmm.  I wonder what
that means?

Clay