From:
Bob Svec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 22:04:40 -0400
At 07:20 AM 6/4/99 -0700, Deron Treadwell wrote:
>--- Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I appreciate the fact we are having a civilised debate on this issue.
>
>As do I.
>
>> Football is often the sport that generates the $ for the rest of the
>> sports.
>
>I will concede that football can generate a lot of money in terms of
>gate receipts, endorsements, etc., but only for the top tier programs
>at the D-IA level.. even saying that, as Arthur suggests with reference
>to the SI article, it is unclear how much money actually goes to other
>sports from football (or basketball, etc.)
>
>Does football generate more money than any women's sport, likely yes.
>I don't want to get rid of football.

I love hockey but I'm also a football fan...being an Ohio State grad makes
that almost an imperative.   I won't discuss other schools but I have seen
data on the OSU program.  It is data in the pre-Schott period so the figures
for hockey are much lower than in 1998-99.  For what it is worth here are
some of the revenue and expense data:

Revenue                (in  $1000)

Football                        17,026
M Bball                           5400
WBball                             187
Hockey                            104
Other Men                         93
Other Women                    28

Fund Raising

Buckeye Club                    5727
Other                                   515
Woody Hayes Center            120

Bowl Rev-direct                 3,128
Endowment Income            423
Royalties                            419
Other                                  176

Misc

Admin (TV, etc)                   3379
Golf Course                         2996
Bowls-Big Ten                      1460
Scoreboard Sponsers            1444
Sports camps                       906
Ice Rink                                723
Merchandising                         591
Parking                                 543
Promotions                             334
Programs                               312
Clinics                                   120
Sports Championshios             17
Jesse Owens Classic                  15

TOTAL                                   46,151

Expenses  1997/98

Operating                 ($1000)

Operating*                 12,984
Inderect  overhead      1,961
Phys Plant Assess       733
Equipment                    727

*meals, lodging, recruiting,etc.

Admin                           6994
Special                         3218
Benefits                        2881
Wages                           1601
Classified                      1464

Capital expenses

Woody Hayes center      1130
Small projects                  984
St. John Scoreboard        130

Other

Grant-in -aid                   5164
Bowl expenses               2873
Non-operating                  1376
Cost containment (?)         639
Other                               153
Contingency                     140

TOTAL                           45,152

As you can see, football and men's bball basically pay for the non-revenue
and the Title IX sports.  There are 33 varsity sports at Ohio State and it
is only possible because of football.  The AD has worked hard at expanding
women's sports and improving men's sports at the same time.  In recent years
the women's hockey,  crew and lacrosse have been added and more scholarships
have been added to other women's sports (in the past, some of the women's
sports were not getting as many ships as allowed by the NCAA).

These sports are also paying for the quarter of a billion dollars being
spent on improving the sporting facilities at OSU.  I have not seen the
figures but it looks like hockey is starting to help pay for Title IX
sports, The Schott, the new Jesse Owens Track Facility (it also will be used
for soccer and lacrosse), the Bill Davis Baseball Stadium, a remodled and
expanded Ohio Stadium and other improvements.  There aren't tax dollars or
student fees being used for these facilities.

I'm darn proud of Ohio State and how it decided to meet Title IX  by adding
rather than subtracting.  It would not be possible without football.

Bob Svec