From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:26:18 EDT
To Everyone on the list:

It has never been my intent to try to make listers swallow anything-- as Adam
suggests. I just presented the information in response to someone else's post
about half and full shields. Adam keeps repeating that no one wants to hear
about this and have it forced on them. This is a sign that he is resistant to
the topic, and or to me. Yet, I've never applied that tactic on him or
anybody on this list. Everyone's input is viable, whether we all agree with
it or not. As far as my reporting of the data, I could hardly report
everything from a 20 page paper, and that's from one study alone. As to
Neal's accusation that the reporting is incorrect, that is another tactic to
discredit me. Whatever information I submitted was directly from the text.

I posted that the search for which is safer, the half or the full, is
ongoing. Which is safer? Isn't that the point? After reading Adam's posts,
the only point he has made quite clear, is that    me, my methods and the
subject matter are not wanted here and in that order. While demanding
substantive PROOF from me, he hasn't submitted anything of value to uphold
his beliefs other than pure conjecture. What he has done and persistently, is
go beyond disagreement into personal attack, frothing the pot with slights.
While he eludes that I'm probably a nice lady out of one side of his mouth,
he attacks my methodology out of the other with discrediting, demeaning and
sarcastic remarks. His rebuts have been empty of any substantive findings for
the half, other than college coaches want it.

It's obvious there is a movement here to make this topic go away. I find that
intriguing. If my nose jokes in response to his sarcasm are too hard to take,
than you're not reading between the lines or can't detect his defaming
motives, or my humor. I really was desperately trying to lighten this up.
And, obviously, I can't come up with any definitive answers, no one has yet,
other than  full on face for now. However, that shouldn't prohibit a
conversation on the topic.

I'm interested in researching safety and injury issues because I'm concerned
about the increase in serious irreparable injuries. I would think you all
would be. Despite knowing that it's a volatile sport, that doesn't mean we
can't look into ways to make it less injurious. Certainly the NHL is doing
this, as they are at the youth and college levels.

Hockey discussions should include injury and safety issues. It has been clear
from the beginning that injury and safety issues have been met with a real
lack of tolerance. If this uproar is about Adam fighting for the half in
college hockey, which seems the case, underneath his all out campaign to
discredit me, I can only detect that my input into the discussion must make
HIM very nervous. I've never seen such an all-out attempt, such resistance,
to what is not only a current topic in the medical world but is current in
the hockey world itself. I'm not talking about agreeing with me; I'm talking
about discussing without bashing and discrediting.

I have not responded to all the posts addressed to me because I don't have
the time in my busy work schedule. Also, to my mind, the conversation has
gone way beyond what is acceptable. The nasty  intentional remarks that
people have made were unnecessary and uncalled for. They were not meant in a
humorous way. Unfortunately, sometimes my humor can be misunderstood. I
certainly apologize to anyone if I caused them to feel uncomfortable or
angry. Really, this is never my intent. This name calling though is frankly
unbelievably juvenile; the players conduct themselves better.

I will post some sources for those of you who have expressed a desire to read
some of the studies. Of course, I really agree that some studies are probably
not worth their salt and some hypotheses need further examination.
Nonetheless, many of them are worthy of examination and consideration. The
NHL and the NCAA don't make changes without studies like these. Injury
evaluation is done constantly; liability demands it.

I will not go away and I will not stop posting on what is an important topic,
the safety of the players. You can call me any name you want and it won't
deter me from participating on this list. To those of you who have left the
list, that is your choice. No-one has the right to silence anyone else or
qualify what topic is acceptable for discussion. Period.

To those of you who have emailed me privately supporting my right to discuss
equipment or injury topics, and won't come out publicly with your comments,
my sincerest thanks.

TALK BACK...and in the end everyone goes home after shaking hands, everyone.

Vicki Price
Concussion Free Zone
at:http://www.violentcontact.net