From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 12:07:51 -0400
>Bashing is a list specialty. Presented with reliable medical information,
>many of you balk, discredit or respond with an amazingly ignorant attitude. I
>guess caring about whether a player could skate away concussion free, or
>perhaps one less injury, doesn't matter at all to you. I know there are
>people on this list who are interested in information concerning safety
>issues.

I think most of us are. But when a discussion starts about the debate
between half-shields and full-shields and then you back up your claim by
saying that Washington lost a certain amount of man-games which is this much
more than last year, it drowns out your desired effect. You were using facts
about general injuries to try to support a relatively limited discussion.
Even if that wasn't your intended effect, it was certainly implied.

And yes, you are a parent of players, but who's more qualified to tell what
they want, the parent or the player? Isn't it kind of ridiculous that almost
without exception the players and coaches, those actually involved in the
game, want half-shields allowed, yet it will never happen because of NCCA
red-tape? I can see why full shields should be forced on kids, but these are
adults of legal age(18) we're talking about here. Can't they make their own
helmet choice?

Since I've never played the game outside of some pick-up street games, I
can't tell you first hand observations of which is better. I'm curious, have
you ever played, Vicki, or are you just being a protective parent in this case?

If it's the latter, it reminds me of politically correct advocators who want
schools like Florida State to drop Indian nicknames despite the fact that
the Seminole Tribe gives Florida State its full support.

>It has to be clear to everyone that this bashing has been a concerted effort
>by Wodon and Neal especially. I think it's pathetic that anyone would want to
>spend so much time trying to demean even published medical information,
>saying it's not a worthwhile study, without even seeing the full text.

Well, where can we find the full medical text? Maybe I would change my mind
if I saw the full text, but all I've seen so far is snippets of information
that you've provided that don't show anything but the fact that hockey is a
sport where people get injured. And I haven't seen anything that really
makes me want to jump on the full-shield bandwagon over the half-shield one.

>To refute and belittle the findings of The American Journal of Sports
>Medicine and The American Orthopedic Society is pathetic.

Not when we have been given snippets of facts without a link, bibliographal
information, or anyway to look this stuff up. Remember Cliff Clavan from
"Cheers"? He could probably cite numerous facts from respected sources about
violence in hockey as well, but I wouldn't believe a word he said without
backup proof.

>But, this is really all about personally attacking me. Both Neal and Wodon
have >emailed me in private with personal attacks.

That's plain stupid on their part. This can be debated civilly on here
without resorting to personal attacks.
===============================
      Ben Flickinger
E-Mail:    [log in to unmask]
(Stanley Cup Champion) Detroit Red Wings Fan for Life
Proud resident of Bugaha(Omaha)-Home of the 1st Jim Rome World Tour Stop.
To all the CCHA teams, UNO welcomes you to the Bullpen. Now get ready to lose.
Everyone can have a bad century or two. Cubbies all the way in 1999.
QOTW: "Always two there are, a master and an apprentice." (Yoda, Star Wars:
Episode 1 - A Phantom Menace)