From:
Pat Host <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 18:27:25 -0400
Does anybody remember a player name Nick Kypreos?  He was on the 94 Rangers
Cup team, and I believe he played for Edmonton and Toronto.  Even though he
was nothing but a fighter with twice the talent of worthless Kirk Maltby
combined (sorry had to throw that in), he suffered a career ending
concussion and skull fracture when his head slammed into the ice during a
fight with Darren Langdon, I believe.  This is probably the biggest
detriment to any fighting in hockey, even though I think that in the NHL it
is necessary, but in college? No.  May people say that "he'll think twice
about hitting from behind if there is fighting."  This is totally false.
This is what he'll think:

"OK, if I smoke this guy from behind, I'll have my team to back me up,
so I'll do it."  That is what will happen if the NCAA has limited fighting.
And then guys will retaliate with cheap shots for cheap shots, and more
fights will break out, slowing down the pace of the game, and making a
mockery of college hockey, which IMO, is more fun to watch than the pros.

As an six year ice hockey player and roller hockey player, here are my

1.  I wear a clear plastic face mask like you see many college players wear.
I feel that face masks do not hinder my view at all.  If you have played
football, do you ever see the bars on your face mask when you are playing?
No.  It's the same way in hockey.  Also, I would MUCH, MUCH rather wear a
face mask even if it did cut down my vision than take a skate to the face
like Doug Weight.

2.  Yes, the full sheild does prevent the occurance of jaw injuries- but
only if they are used correctly.  If you watch a college game sometime,
notice how their cages hang down from the J-clips on the temples of the
helmet.  When players wear their masks like this, it allows elbows and
stick-blades inside the mask, causing injury.  If worn properly, the full
mask prevents these jaw injuries, and protect the face.  I would rather pay
another $50 to buy a new mask after it is all scratched up than take a stick
or puck to the eye.  Bottom line.

Pat
May the DEAD WINGS and all their front-running, bandwagon
hopping fans, rot in hell.

OVERRATED!  (bum-bum, bum-bum-bum)