From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 08:38:39 -0500
Gang

Look, you CAN fight in college.  You just have to sit out a game (or 2,
or 3).  I think in all the college games that I've seen (live & TV), I've
seen 1 bench clear and about 4 fights, call it about 200+ games.

BUT, once the facemask came in (78-79?), up went the sticks and respect
for the noodle went down.

Vicki -- you're the expert here.  A concussion can happen from basically
2 events in hockey -- striking your head on something hard (ice or
boards), or getting a shot to the chops that drives the jaw back, right?

IF the helmet use is manadatory and proper fastening of the chinstrap is
enforced, part (a) is pretty well taken care of.

Even if you wear a mask, you can still get #2.  Most college players have
the chin cup way away from their chin.  A good shot to the mask and you
can get the jaw driven back = concussion.  What we have to do is educate
and enforce.  Educate the players in minor hockey (and college) that you
don't touch the head.  Touch it and it is 2, 5, or a DQ.  Yes, it will be
ugly for a while, but safety should go up.

As for the odd puck, yep they'll still cause damage, but (Craig help me
here) you you rather be hit by a deflected puck or a stick?

Joe
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]