From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 10:17:31 -0400
This is exactly the misconception of people thinking that using
half-shields will NOT reduce the stick work. When your face and every other
players face in the game is now exposed, the players think twice about
batting for a puck with a high stick. They know what it's like to be hit
themselves and they then carry this thought over to themselves.

Hockey is a sport where there is a huge amount of "respect" for another
player. Unfortunately technology has made hockey players look like robots.
Thus the players have the misconception I can't get hurt, so I'll run
around like a crazed lunatic. i.e) Anyone ever seen the shoulder pads Chris
Chelios wears. These things have to be 15 years old. Why?

Here is a statement, and I know that I am going to start the ball rolling
with this one, but please at least hear me out.

Having played hockey in both Canada and US there are HUGE differences in
the approach of how the game is to be played.

In Canada, players are taught from the beginning, your stick is used for
one thing only, playing the puck. While stick swinging incidences occur,
they are by no means as dramatic and frequent as US players. Canada is
taught if a player hits you good (assuming clean), you get his number and
wait for the opportunity to place the hit on him (also clean). US players
want instant retaliation and the stick usually follows. I am not saying
that Canadian players are angels, or that US players are dirty, I am just
stating differences that I have seen in over 25 years of hockey.

Where am  I going with this? Hockey has a respect. This respect comes from
coaches and parents. This is an honorable game and should be played as
such. By implementing half shields and fighting in the correct manner, you
would see the NCAA become the strongest proving ground for the NHL. You may
disagree and I can respect that, but this is the truth.

Half shields and fighting (controlled), would keep sticks down, comments to
themselves (not all), and elevate the game to a new height. Unfortunately
the NCAA doesn't see this. Do I want NCAA hockey to become NCAA basketball
and all the players leave early, NO.  But hockey for the most part is not a
money making sport, but they do have the chance to make it one.

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994

[log in to unmask] on 05/26/99 08:52:33 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]