From:
Todd Nielson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 22:42:59 EDT
In a message dated 5/25/99 12:32:34 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< The full shield offers over twice the protection of the half shield. >>

That depends on your definition of protection.  If visibility is improved
through the use of a half-shield to allow a player to *avoid* an injury, then
is that not
 better protection as well?  I have to agree with the assertion that others
have made as well, that if it makes players less reckless with sticks, it
does two things - it reduces the high sticking incidences and it prepares
players for hockey beyond the NCAA, should they be successful enough to
continue.

Look, this is hockey, not chess.  We can't have these players skating around
in little plastic bubbles (a la the Pope-mobile) to prevent them from getting
injured.  Teaching players to play responsibly and intelligently is a far
better answer than trying to save them from each other with bits of
polyurethane.

-Todd