From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 11:26:55 -0400
Of course being a goalie, what do I know about half shields, but I'll jump
into the mix anyway.

When I was playing they had said that once a league (organization i.e.
NCAA) moves to go to a full shield, there are legal issues to overcome to
then reduce that "safety element". But put that aside and this is what I
think.

The players in the OHL DO tilt the helmet back wearing it improperly. It is
SO obvious....that if the NCAA were to adopt a half-shield, send the player
off the ice to "correct" his equipment. If there is a second occurrence by
the same player, a 10 minute misconduct, a third - game ejection.  Players
would still be mandated to wear mouthguards to reduce concussions (not
eliminate). This is hockey and I think that concussions will happen
regardless of the equipment.

I agree with the comment that the players will all of the sudden have a new
found respect for their stick, and the comments will definitely be reduced.
The comments will not be as reduced as they would be in the Major Junior
league because fighting is not as harsh a penalty.

I think that the NCAA SHOULD adopt the use of half-shields. Since the NCAA
is sending more and more players directly to the NHL, this would at least
prepare them for the responsibility of their stick BEFORE they hurt
someone.

I agree at first they may be a very rocky road, but in due time, it would
smooth out. The players would love it.

P.S.  Show me a real hockey player that still has all of their teeth (Just
kidding)

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994