From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 14:10:11 -0500
John Whelan wrote: (on info-hockey-l)

>   Two points will be given to a team for a victory and one point will
be
>   earned for a tie. The team with the most points will be crowned the
>   tournament champion. Ties will be broken by determining total periods
>   won.

I HATE PERIOD POINT TOURNAMENTS!!!!!!  They put the onus on scoring in
each period and you can get all sort of wierd circumstances, such as:

Game 1  Niagara vs Q'pac.  Niagara wins  3-2 and Period points 4-1
Game 2  RPI vs BU             RPI wins        3-2 and period points 3-2

Game 3   Niagara vs BU      Niagara wins  3-2 and points 3-2  (they have
7 points)

which leads to game 4
In order to win outright, RPI cannot lose a period against Quinnipiac.
Imagine this, with RPI comfortably ahead, Quinnipiac scores a late goal
to make the score say 7-2, and lead RPI for goals scored in the 3rd.  RPI
now has to pull the goalie to try to score to win the crown (7.5 points).
 If they don't, they settle for 2nd, and who cares how much they give up.

Don't laugh, I had to do this as a youth coach just to make sure we made
the title game.  We're up 5-1, they score to make it 5-2, and I have to
pull the goalie to try to get the 1/2 point back.  We scored and were
their parents (and coaches) mad at me.

Joe
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]