From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:52:36 -0500
On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Satow, Clay wrote:

> He made a very nice move to beat a very good goalie.  I was surprised when
> the announcer said that it was his sixth goal of the season.  I wondered a
> couple of things: 1.  How can a guy with moves like that have only five
> goals?  2.  Why would the coach pick a five goal scorer to take the penalty
> shot?  I wasn't like the fourth line was out there, it was 5-on-3 at the
> time.  Perhaps because he had scored before, and the coach thought he was
> hot?

I wanted to point him out, so this is a good opportunity.  The scorer was
Dave Evans, Averill Park native, (about 10 miles outside of Albany.)  Dave
was recruited by RPI, among others, but elected to go to Clarkson and
their tradition of (unfortunately fruitless) post-season play.  Dave
injured his knee in November and was less than 100% for most of the
season.  Dave knows how to put the puck in the net, but at Clarkson was
faced with learning Mark Morris's defense-first system.  Dave had never
played one on one defense previously so the schooling process, coupled
with his injury, hindered his offensive production throughout the season.
According to his dad, Dave didn't get discouraged however and apparently
his work ethic paid off with his great game at Worcester.

I imagine Coach Morris never forgot about Dave's goal scoring talent and
let him show his stuff in the big game.
Brian Morris                 RPI Engineers--Should be good next year, but
[log in to unmask]    so will SLU and Clarkson