From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 03:21:08 -0500
Re UNH's first goal, Michael wrote:

<< Rules Question: Is offsides negated if  the other team knocks
<< the pck into its own defensive zone?

John responded:

<< Offsides is negated when the the team SHOOTS the puck into it's
<< own end with an attacking player trapped in his attacking zone. If
<< the puck is DEFLECTED by a defensive player into the zone,
<< delayed offsides is initiated.

Now I'm confused.  Michigan clearly DEFLECTED THEIR OWN
PASS into their own zone, where UNH players were happily lurking.

George and Terri wrote:

<< The refs got this one right. Offsides is negated when the defensive team
<< PUTS the puck into their own zone, even if opposing players are still in
<< the zone as well.

That was my feeling, though I couldn't find authority in the rulebook under
"Offsides", because it's under a separate section for "Preceding puck into
attacking zone" [Rule 6-33, para. C]:

   "If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own
    defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in that
    defending zone, the offside shall be ignored and play permitted
    to continue."

The Interpretations section gives an example where the offensive team (UNH)
deflects its pass off a defender's skate to cause an offside, but none which
addresses a deflection of a defending team's pass.

I interpret Congress's INTENT as sending UNH to the Frozen Four.  John, are
you implying that Michigan's deflection of its own pass can cause an offside or
are you merely stating the deflection rule for the unrelated case addressed in the

Interpretations?

Bob
    . . . now a Michigan State fan (for a week)