Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:44:58 -0700
At 09:06 PM 3/23/99 -0500, Greg Ambrose wrote:

>The latter is correct.  As one who reads UNH press releases all the time,
>just because they give you the information doesn't mean you have to print
>it.  The "last 17 years" bit was probably the most irrelevant piece of news
>of the weekend.  Who cares?

I care. BU fans care. Minnesota fans care.

I'd wager to say that most hockey fans care -- one way or the other.

While it seems you can't stand anybody else but UNH getting any attention,
it's a pretty significant statistic that shows increasing change in college
hockey, that two perennial powers are no longer present. I guess it would
have been irrelevant it Michigan had missed the tournament too.

Just think -- the last time the tournament didn't see either BU or
Minnesota was in 1982. A lot of the kids in this year's tournament weren't
even born yet.

For Terrier and Gopher fans, it's an obvious disappointment. For some
college hockey fans overall, it means there are one or two more teams this
year in the tournament they're not used to seeing. Teams like Ohio State,
who even 3 years ago nobody would have figured for the final four.

For many other fans it simply means a nice change -- after all, if you've
been going to eastern regionals for the last 8 years you've seen BU play at
least one of the four games. Now they're gone.

greenie