From:
Jason E Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason E Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:10:48 -0800
Well,

I didn't see this one but I did read about it.

I was off at the MAAC Tournament (which was an amazingly fun atmosphere) and
the three Princeton followers in Worcester kept bugging Jim Connelly for the
ECAC scores.

When I heard the high score and the loss on Friday night, I said, I bet the
coach played Stathos again.

When I heard the high score and the loss on Saturday, I said, I bet the
coach played Stathos again.

In this particular situation, I believe it was a mistake for Princeton's
coach to play Stathos on consecutive nights.

Stathos looked extremely shaky on the Saturday night playoff vs. Cornell
(his second game in two nights).  All season long, he alternated in net with
Nick Rankin.

I saw no problem with going with Stathos against Cornell as you try to see
if you can ride your top goalie the whole way.

The experiment in playing Stathos on consecutive nights failed against
Cornell.

I sincerely hoped Princeton would play a Stathos-Rankin-Stathos goalie
rotation over the three games in Lake Placid.

Based on seeing Stathos play on consecutive nights against Cornell, I am not
surprised about the Lake Placid result for Princeton.

Does anyone know why Rankin didn't play (in reference to the fact that
Bradley replaced Stathos on Friday and Saturday when he was pulled)?

-jp

---"Loggia, Andy" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Adam,
>
> >> (a) Princeton had won the consolation game  OR
> >> (b) The ECAC consolation game hadn't even been played OR
> >> (c) Willie Mitchell's "miracle shot" from the red line became a
> >> routine save OR
> >> (d) Ohio State had played a consolation vs. Michigan State OR
> >> (e)  etc. etc.
> >I believe Princeton was in with a win on either night.  Friday, by the way,
> had
> >to be the worst loss I've ever seen. Or shall I say, the most crushing.
>
> I totally agree with you about the most crushing loss statement. For those
> of you who didn't catch the game, Princeton, down 5-3, scores 2 goals in the
> final 5 minutes to even the score. The game tying goal was with 43 seconds
> left. But, it all went for naught as Clarkson scores on a slapshot from
> about the red line with 2.7 seconds left to win the game. Unbelievable turn
> of events. I really feel for Princeton fans (and I hate Clarkson even more
> <g>).
>
> Andy
> RPI 1991

       |__   __| |  __  |  Jason Patton        http://www.gojp.com/jp/
 ____     | |    | |__| |      Following College Hockey Since 1991
|____|    | |    |  ____|  Boston U. 1991-1995     Princeton 1995-1998
        __| |    | |       1995 NCAA Champions     1998 ECAC Champions
       |____|    |_|        MAAC Hockey League Inaugural Season 1998-