Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:46:31 -0600
Jess Myers wrote:

> 2. Boston University 3, Michigan 2 ('97 semifinal, Milwaukee). BU played the finest ten minutes of hockey I've seen to open the game banging the Wolverines all over the ice, and BU still trailed 1-0 to the top-ranked UM team after one. Then the Terriers took over and led 3-1 before a late Michigan goal with the goalie pulled made the ending spectacular.

It was probably the best 10 minutes of hockey since Michigan outshot BU 18-1 in the first mini-period the previous year in Cincinnati.  The Terriers owed them one.

> 1. Northern Michigan 8, Boston University 7, 3 OT ('91 title game, St. Paul). The Terriers shut down the powerful NMU offense and led 3-0 after one, then the Wildcats roared back to lead 7-4 with less than 10 minutes to play in regulation. But with the Wildcat fans celebrating an apparent title, BU rallied to tie, then forced NMU goalie Billy Pye to make a great save with :02 on the clock to force OT. Then it was back and forth action until the wee hours when Daryl Plandowski tapped a shot in to win the NCAA. It also featured the funniest post-game press conference moment ever, when (describing the game-winner) Plandowski said, "I got the puck and I say that the net was pretty much empty, so I decided to shoot it in." Rick Comley (NMU's coach) turned to Plandowski and said "Good decision!"

Hmmn.  I was at the other end of the ice, but I don't remember Pye making a great save; I remember Amonte hitting him in the catching glove, which never moved.  Though I may just be confusing that with the rest of the evening, which was easily the worst game I ever saw Pye play.

J. Michael Neal