From:
Jess Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jess Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:15:54 -0600
The three greatest NCAA hockey games (and I am lucky enough to have witnessed all of them) are:

3. Maine 5, Lake Superior State 4 ('93 title game, Milwaukee). Trailing 4-2 after two and with their dream season on the line, the Black Bears switched goalies for the third and got a natural hat trick from Jim Montgomery to win their 40th game of the year and their only NCAA title. But not before the Lakers clanked the crossbar with less than two minutes left - a shot which some Yoopers still claim was in the net.

2. Boston University 3, Michigan 2 ('97 semifinal, Milwaukee). BU played the finest ten minutes of hockey I've seen to open the game banging the Wolverines all over the ice, and BU still trailed 1-0 to the top-ranked UM team after one. Then the Terriers took over and led 3-1 before a late Michigan goal with the goalie pulled made the ending spectacular.

1. Northern Michigan 8, Boston University 7, 3 OT ('91 title game, St. Paul). The Terriers shut down the powerful NMU offense and led 3-0 after one, then the Wildcats roared back to lead 7-4 with less than 10 minutes to play in regulation. But with the Wildcat fans celebrating an apparent title, BU rallied to tie, then forced NMU goalie Billy Pye to make a great save with :02 on the clock to force OT. Then it was back and forth action until the wee hours when Daryl Plandowski tapped a shot in to win the NCAA. It also featured the funniest post-game press conference moment ever, when (describing the game-winner) Plandowski said, "I got the puck and I say that the net was pretty much empty, so I decided to shoot it in." Rick Comley (NMU's coach) turned to Plandowski and said "Good decision!"

Let's hope something in Anaheim can top those. But I doubt it.