From:
Glenn Auerbach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn Auerbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:38:03 -0500
Michigan has not played in the east since the regional format was adopted in
1992.  They played at BU (and got thrashed) in the 1991 quarterfinals after
hosting Cornell in the 1991 1st round.  Before that, I believe the 1962
tournament was held in Utica, NY -- Michigan took third place in that
tournament (lost to Clarkson, defeated St. Lawrence).  As far as I can tell,
Michigan has made no other NCAA trips farther east than Detroit (which is 40
miles or so east of Ann Arbor).

With regards to fans making the trip, I'd be surprised if a lot travelled from
Ann Arbor.  Worcester is a hell of a long drive, much farther than Madison.
Madison can be made in 6 hours while I think I'd be doing quite well to reach
Worcester in 10 hours.  I could leave the morning of the game for a 6 hour trip.
 A 10 hour trip adds a whole day there and a whole day back.  Some of the
better-travelling fans I know in Ann Arbor are not making the trip.  Even more
so, those making the trip to Anaheim the following week simply do not have the
time to travel that far.  I have travelled from Ann Arbor to Madison, Albany,
Milwaukee, Boston, Providence, & others; I will not be making this trip.  There
are a lot of Michigan alumni in the Boston area, so hopefully others will cheer
for the Wolverines.

Glenn Auerbach