From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:41:42 -0600
Re: Quinnipiac

Many people have chosen to compare QC's situation to the field of 64 in hoops
and some of the low teams that get in. You cannot.  There is absolutely no
league or team in basketball the resembles the MAAC/Hockey, which at this point
is basically an intramural league.

The MAAC has a similar league for football, in order to meet DI requirements for
basketball all the MAAC schools moved their DIII football programs up to DI-AA,
where they play only each other and could not beat any ranked DIII teams, yet
they are DI and meet the letter of the NCAA mandate, if not the spirit.  Granted
the MAAC motives in hockey are more legitimate, but until they play a fully
integrated Division I hockey schedule it would be a crime to keep a Michigan or
RPI out of the tourney.