From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:26:27 -0500
It's that time of year again for the NC$$ tournament pool.

This year, there will be 3 pools in one;
one for the foolish, those who want to pick winners of each game;
a second for the more foolish, who want to predict goal differentials
and, new for this year, a third contest (for fools only) that will
will be based on actual scores from each game (I really DO need
to get a life).

I'm sending draft copies of the rules out early this year because
there was some confusion about the goal differential last year.
Then, on Selection Sunday, I'll send "official" rules along with the
"Official" entry form.

One entry form will be used for all 3 contests.
Which contests you will be entered into will depend on what
information you enter on the form.

Under separate post, I will send a sample entry form to
give you some idea (hopefully) of what I'm talking about.
Any suggestions to improve it between now and 3/21 would be appreciated.
The official entry form will have the actual team names specified
and may incorporate suggestions received between now and then.

Required information (all 3 contests):

NAME (an alias is ok for those who are participating in the
         Federal Witness Protection Program)
ADDRESS (no street address is needed just City, state/province;
       Ed McMahon will NOT be visiting your home to deliver the
       prize if you should win)
E-MAIL address - (so that I may acknowledge receipt of each
       entry and request corrections or additional information if
       needed)

Optional information:
School Affiliation - (Only one please; if you send me 2 I'll use
      the 1st one listed)
League Affiliation - (Only one, please)

Contest rules are being sent separately, 1 for each contest.
I apologize for making the rules sound like a legal document,
but I found out last year that there are as many interpretations
of contest rules as there are contestants. If there are any questions
about the rules, please let me know so that I can clear them up and
send out clarifications to all entrants.

Also, please send entries as early in the week as possible.
This allows me time to enter the data, check for missing information
and contact you for additional info before the contest deadline
(which, by the way, is one hour before the first eastern regional
game in Worcester on Friday, March 26, 1999 ).

When you finish filling out the entry form, please double check it
for logical consistency. Several people mixed up the brackets
last year and chose teams in the later rounds that logically could not
play in the game they were chosen to win. If you choose a winner in a
matchup that cannot occur, then your choice will be wrong and you will
not get any points for that game.

Also, I have been using 1E - 6E and 1W - 6W as examples since we don't
know how the seedings will turn out. The official entry form will have
the names of the schools filled in. Your choices should be the names of
the schools, not 1E or 2W.

Mark Lewin
RPI '69