From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:43:53 -0500
Kevin Turner wrote:

>    3. Finaly, this last question as nothing to do with the current
> disscussion of post-season hockey, but, I simply wanted to know if any
> Washington D.C. area colleges have hockey programs? If not, how could
> we(those who live in the D.C. area) get the area colleges to look into
> the possability of starting hockey programs?

In ancient pre-Caps days (early 70's), D.C. had enough hockey interest to
support a senior amateur team, the Chiefs, that drew roughly 800-1,300
paid admissions for each of two weekend games.  They played amateur teams
from up and down the East Coast and an occasional low-level pro team.  One
year's team won every game except for a loss to Harvard and a tie against
an Ann Arbor team.  Considering the neighborhood (the old Coliseum on M
Street), they did well to attract a loyal following, which regularly
included the Secretary of the Army. They had a regular fan club,
newsletter, printed programs, the works.

It wasn't unusual for some areas to draw 1,000-2,000 paid admissions to
senior amateur hockey.  Erie, Lima, Oak Brook, Milwaukee, and the Wagon
Wheel Resort in South Beloit come to mind.  Presumably, the Caps took over
that market in D.C.  However, you might still find enough fans not wanting
to pay NHL prices who would support a D.C. area college team.